RKD provide Russ Strip installation in text to enable users to print and refer to onsite.
In common with most single ply material EPDM will, overtime, try to shrink back to the centre.
The base tie-in controls the membrane movement and stops the membrane pulling away where the membrane turns up through an angle change. The rest of the movement is accommodated by the membrane and its ability to elongate by over 300%.
ClassicBond PS RUSS (Reinforced Universal Secure Strip) is used to mechanically secure EPDM membranes to the substrate. The strip has tape pre-applied along one edge, and can be installed horizontally or vertically in conjunction with Seam Fastening Plates below the EPDM membrane for additional membrane securement.
Seam Fastening Plates are used with RUSS strip to securely clamp the RUSS to the vertical or horizontal surface; these must be used in conjunction
with the appropriate fasteners for the substrate.
Other UK EPDM distributors state that base ties-ins aren’t required on roofs
under 100m². The membrane, irrelevant of size, will pull to the centre and
eventually pull away from the wall. Remember, the membrane doesn’t know
whether it’s under or over 100m².
1) Mechanically fasten the RUSS strip horizontally into the decking or into the
upstand with the PS section being to the inside of the roof.
2) Apply Primer to the area on the underside of the EPDM membrane that will come into contact with the 75mm PS tape on the RUSS strip.
3) Once the primer is dry remove the protective strip from the PS tape on the
RUSS strip. Lay the primed membrane into the PS tape with no wrinkles or
air gaps and smooth in by hand then roll with hand roller.
4) Once bonded to the RUSS finish the upstand by using Bonding Adhesive to the remainder of the RUSS, upstand and membrane.
Bonding adhesive is used on all vertical surfaces on the roof area, e.g. wall upstands, batten and sky light edges. This adhesive will work on porous and non-porous surfaces, providing they are clean and dry. The Bonding glue will enable tight angles to be formed quickly and easily to give great product versatility.
5) Apply the Bonding adhesive to the side of the RUSS strip or exposed decking. Also apply the Bonding adhesive to the relevant upstand termination or step down and to the back side of the membrane.
6) Once the adhesive has become touch dry with no wet puddles, mate
the two surfaces together. Leaving no voids between membrane and the receiving surface.
7) Applying positive pressure to the membrane work the membrane up the
upstand to the desired height. These areas should be rolled to achieve a
strong bond between membrane and substrate.